Victoria Theatre and Concert Hall
Address: 11 Empress Place Singapore 179558
From City Hall MRT Station (NS25/EW13), walk along St Andrew's Road, past St Andrew's Cathedral, City Hall and Supreme Court. Walk into Old Parliament Lane.
Contact: (+65) 6338 1230
The Victoria Concert Hall is closed for major renovations and will reopen in 2013.
The Victoria Theatre and Concert Hall is a complex of two buildings and a clock tower joined together by a common corridor and is located in the civic district of Singapore. In the lead up to World War II, the memorial hall was used as a hospital for victims of bombing raids by the Japanese forces during the Battle of Singapore before their successful occupation of the colony. During the occupation, the buildings themselves escaped major physical damage, although the colonnade was destroyed, and Raffles's statue moved to the National Museum. At the end of the war, the statue was returned to its original site in 1946.In 1947 The Straits Settlements coat of arms that was hung on the tympanum of both wings of the building was replaced by the newly formed coat of arms of The Crown Colony of Singapore.It was later brought down in 1959 to make a plaster cast of the Coat of Arms of Singapore which was topped of with two flagpoles with the Flag of Singapore on it. The hall also served as the venue for Japanese war crime trials. In 1979, the memorial hall was renovated again to accommodate the Singapore Symphony Orchestra (SSO), upon which it was renamed as the Victoria Concert Hall. Additional works up to the 1980s added a gallery to the Concert Hall, adding seating capacity and enclosing the second storey balconies on the front and back facades with glass. The Victoria Theatre and Concert Hall was gazetted as a national monument on 14 February 1992. View Fullscreen Map