Turn into Shenton Way and follow the road down past Collyer Quay towards Esplanade Drive. You won't miss Fullerton Hotel. Sitting on some 41,100 sq m of prime land, and in direct contrast with the backdrop of highly-modern skyscrapers, the Neo-classical building with its fluted, Doric colonnades once served as Singapore's General Post Office, but has since been converted into an incredibly luxurious hotel.
Named after Robert Fullerton, the first Governor of the Straits Settlements from 1826-1829, the hotel was first designed as an office building as part of the British colony's centennial celebrations. The architectural firm which was in charge of this project was Major P.H. Keys of Keys & Dowdeswell, from Shanghai, which also went on to design the Capitol Theatre and the Singapore General Hospital.
Plans to erect Fullerton Buildings were initialised in 1920, but work only began in February 1924 due to a lack of funds. It was eventually finished in June 1928. It was home to the General Post Office, The Exchange, the exclusive Singapore Club (which has been since renamed to the Singapore Town club), the Marine Deparment and the Import and Export Department (or later known as the Ministry of Trade and Industry). In addition it also housed the Chamber of Commerce.
After the war, the building was used as the headquarters of the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore. It was only in 1997 that the Fullerton Building became a conservation building by the Singapore government and was eventually converted to a hotel during the new year of 2001 (or 01/01/01).
The grey Aberdeen granite Fullerton Building sits on 41,100 square metres (442,400 square feet) of land. The height of its walls measures 36.6 metres (120 ft) from the ground. The building has Neo-classical architectural features which include fluted Doric colonnades on their heavy base, and the lofty portico over the main entrance with trophy designs and the Royal Coat of Arms, crafted by Italian Cavaliere Rudolfo Nolli. Check out the distinct architectural features that are unique to this building as a measure to maximise natural ventilation. Guests staying in the area also have unblocked views of the sea.
If staying in the hotel is not possible, do make a trip down to see the exterior of the hotel that won an architectural heritage award from the Urban Redevelopment Authority for successfully restoring the former Fullerton Building.