The City Hall is currently undergoing renovations to become the National Art Gallery in 2013.
The City Hall was built from 1926 to 1929, known as the Municipal Building then. Its design mirrors that of the colonial buildings around it, with its prominent Corinthian columns at the front of the building three storeys high and is built in the Neoclassical style that is prevalent in the area. The Japanese used the building for civic issues and political affairs in the building and British prisoners-of-war were rounded up here to march to POW Camps. In 1951, it became the City Hall as Singapore was granted city status.
It was also the site for the 1959 swearing in of Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew and his eight cabinet ministers into political office and for the oath-taking of Singapore's first President. This was also where Lee Kuan Yew declared Singapore to be separate from the British and the site of the first National Day Parade was held in 1966.
The building was upgraded to house government offices and was where the second Prime Minister, Goh Chok Tong had his inauguration ceremony and the swearing-in of his cabinet. Internationally, it hosted the Singapore Biennale and IMF and World Bank Meetings as the registration centre.