Central Sikh Temple is the first Sikh gurdwara in Singapore. Established in 1912, the temple has relocated several times before making its home at Serangoon Road at the junction of Towner Road and Boon Keng Road in the Kallang Planning Area in 1986. The gurdrawa is considered the main place of worship, or Wada Gurdrawa, for approximately 15,000 Sikhs population in Singapore.
The first Punjabis arrived in Singapore some time between 1849 to 1881 after British had occupied the Indian state of Punjab. While saw migration as a means of escape, others were recruited by the British to form a Sikh Contingent of the Straits Settlements police force which saw the formation of the first makeshift Sikh temple being established in the police barracks. Overtime however this temple could no longer accommodate the growing Sikh community.
In 1921, a plot of land on Queen Street was bought by a Sindhi merchant, Wassiamull, with the intention of building up a new gurdwara which became known as the 'Central Sikh Temple' overtime. It is a customary for gurdwaras to provide food and lodging for their guests. Hence besides being a place of worship, the temple was also used for welfare and education services.
In December 1979, the temple was temporarily shifted to the Tiong Bahru Estate on the Seng Poh Road but eventually took permanent residence at the Towner Road. After two years, the Gurudwara was completed and opened in November 1987, coinciding with the 518th anniversary of Guru Nanak, the first Sikh Guru. The old temple at Queen Street site was gazetted as a historical site.
The Central Sikh Temple seen today boasts of its architectural brilliance with the incorporation of modern and traditional elements. Admire the wondrous settings of the Prayer Hall with its white, grey and gold mosaic tiles topped up with a 13-metre wide dome. Watch devotees pray in a fully carpeted, air-conditioned environment with no columns located anywhere in the hall. The prayer room also houses The Granth Sahib, the holy book of Sikhs.
The Central Sikh Temple also features a small dormitory, rooms for visitors, residences for priests, a classroom for religious studies, an extensive library and museum collection of Sikh articles and books, as well as an administrative offices.