Located just 20 kilometres off Singapore, Batam is a small but busy island and tourist destination in the Riau Archipelago of Indonesia. Perfectly fitting the bill for a day's worth of fun and relaxation, Batam provides visitors with attractions and activities which are generally cheaper due to the weaker currency (rupiah).
To the north, Nagoya (Lubuk Baja) is Batam's main town, served by Jodoh's port (Habour Bay), while Batam Centre is the new government-planned business centre where government offices have moved to; most private enterprises and corporations have remained in Nagoya. Nongsapura (Nongsa) to the east and Waterfront City (Teluk Senimba) to the west are resort and watersports enclaves, while Sekupang is the golfer's paradise. Golfers will definitely be pleased with the golf courses available in Batam, where there are up to 7 championship golf courses testing and pitting your skills.
Of course, Batam is not just a golfer's paradise, as eating and shopping are some of the favourite activities for past visitors. Shopping malls such as Nagoya Hill Mall and BCS Mall, have a variety of bargain priced items waiting to be snapped up. Restaurants such as the popular Golden Prawn Seafood Restaurant in Bengkong serves extremely affordable seafood, and if you're craving for authentic Balinese roasted pork, visit Warung Bali in Batam Centre.
Those who seek pure relaxation can choose from the spa packages available at the resorts, where the service is top notch and prices lower than what you would normally expect. These packages usually include return ferry tickets, pick-up services from the terminal, a night's accommodation, and the main highlight - spa treatments.
From Singapore, it is usually much easier to take a ferry to Batam from HarbourFront Ferry Terminal, with Batam Center Ferry Terminal serving one of the most frequent ferry connections to Singapore. HarbourFront Ferry Terminal is served by the Harbourfront MRT Station [NE1/CC29].
Ferry operators from HarbourFront include:
- Contact: +65-62714866 in HarbourFront (Singapore); +62-778-467574 in Batam Centre (Batam); +62-778-321636 in Sekupang (Batam); +62-778-381280 in Waterfront City (Batam)
- Hourly ferries to/from Batam Centre and Sekupang, fewer ferries to/from Waterfront City
- Contact: +65-62783167
- Hourly ferries to Batam Centre, fewer to Waterfront City
Dino / BatamFast
- Contact: +65-6270 0311 in Harbourfront (Singapore); +62-778-467793/470344 in Batam Centre (Batam); +62-778-325085/6 in Sekupang (Batam); +62-778-381150 in Waterfront City (Batam)
- Hourly ferries to/from Batam Centre, fewer ferries to/from Sekupang and Waterfront City
- Contact: +65-6546 8830
- Frequent ferry services to Harbour Bay (Jodoh, Batam)
Price: Usually in the range of $40 - $50 for a return fare ticket ($14 - $20 before taxes/fuel surcharges)
*Note that there are tour operators in Singapore which also provide tour packages to Batam