The 10 participating buildings – Forum the Shopping Mall, Grand Park Orchard, ION Orchard, Mandarin Gallery, Takashimaya Shopping Centre, Orchard Central, Paragon, Tanglin Mall, TANGS Orchard, The Centrepoint – have been trying to outshine and outperform each other to impress the judges and the voting public.
Taking the title of ‘Overall Winner’ for the second consecutive year, Orchard Central won over the critics with its “Christmas with an OC Attitude” theme, featuring a pink and white colour scheme, fairy light displays and interactive exhibits with an eco-friendly angle.
A special honour was bestowed on Mandarin Gallery, which won the first Visa Award for their incorporation of Visa elements into the building’s designs and display of Visa-related marketing material within the mall.
To celebrate their respective victories, Orchard central will be rewarding its first 200 shoppers with a $10 mall shopping voucher or a limited edition Orchard Road premium tote bag on 14 December, while Mandarin Gallery will be choosing 200 Visa shoppers through a lucky draw to win a limited edition Christmas on A Great Street umbrella.
Not to be outdone, three other competitors have also walked away with ‘Best Dressed Building’ titles – ION Orchard, TANGS @ Tang Plaza, and The Centrepoint – thanks to their stunning yuletide decorations and displays.
The outcome of the competition was decided with a combination of votes from the public which made up 20% of the score as well as a panel of judges from the public sector and from the architecture and creative industries in the private sector who scored the remaining 80%.
Over 20,000 votes were collected from eager shoppers on the official Orchard road Facebook page from 17 November – 2 December. 12 lucky voters walked away with a total amount of $7,500 worth of shopping vouchers from the Orchard Road Business Association (ORBA), and the five winning malls will receive a total of $150,000 in cash prizes.
If you’ve missed out of the voting this year, fret not, for you can still participate in the other festivities happening around Orchard. Come down to ION on 23 and 24 December from 7.30pm – 8.45pm and be charmed by the voices of some 500 carollers from different churches around Singapore. Shoppers can also do some last minute Christmas shopping in [email protected] (from 21 – 22 December only), ION Orchard, TANGS Orchard, Paragon, The Centrepoint, and Wisma Atria, which will be opened till 11pm from 19 – 23 December.