Address:60 Hill Street, Singapore 179366
Getting there:Take the MRT to City Hall MRT Station (EW13/NS25) and walk in the direction of Hill Street.
Contact:(+65) 6334 0141
Operating Hours:Daily from 9am to 6pm.
Description: The Armenian Church of St. Gregory the Illuminator is the first Christian church built in Singapore in 1835. Designed by Irish architect, George D. Coleman, it is considered as one of his masterpieces. On 26 March 1836, the church was consecrated and dedicated to St. Gregory the Illuminator, the first Armenian monk. In 1973, the building was gazetted as a national monument by the National Preservation Board. The Church features traditional Armenian Church architecture in both its interiors and exterior, while the Memorial Garden is noted for the tombstones of Armenians who died in Singapore. The parsonage house within the compound dates back to 1905 and was built for the living accommodations of the residing priest. Today, it serves as the administrative offices of the Armenian Church. The Church will be celebrating its 175th Anniversary in 2011.