Essential Info > Before You Come

Electrical Outlet and Voltage

By: kimberly on 06 Jul 2012
For the optimal use of your electronic essentials, you would need a device that accepts 230 volts at 50 cycles per second or 50 Hertz or get a voltage converter.

If you're bringing small and non-digital appliances like hair dryers and irons, you can get a resistor-network converter that can support high-wattage electrical appliances at 50 to 1600 Watts.

Transformers are better for low wattage appliances like radios, battery chargers, laptops, cameras, mp3 players and camcorders. They have a lower maximum Watt rating, which is usually 50 or 100. They contain large iron rods and lots of copper wire.

You could also look for combination converters for a combination of a resistor network and a transformer.

Singapore's plugs generally have two parallel flat pins with ground pins, also referred to locally as a three-pin plug. Some appliances may have two round pins that will need a plastic converter to plug into the socket first, and then you may plug in your appliance with the two round pins. If your appliances plug has a different shape, you may need a plug adapter.

The appliances are generally compatible with European and British sockets, where the European sockets have two round pins and the British sockets have two parallel flat pins with 1 ground pin.

A tip to save you the trouble of having to bring a converter per appliance is to get one of those multi-plugs that can be used in various countries as well as 3-way or 6-way multi plugs, which will allow you to be able to use all your electronics with only one converter.

You must be logged in to add a tip